What should go on this site?

Home Forums EAP Technology Forum What should go on this site?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Anna Rolinska Anna Rolinska 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of David Read
    David Read
    Keymaster

Any suggestions for what should go on this site would be very welcome. I have got a few ideas:

– a forum (like this one!) to discuss issues related to EAP and technology
    – a members area for useful materials, such as guides for software and hardware, technology training session plans etc
    – a list page for us to collect useful web resources/websites etc.
    – And of course, blog posts from anyone willing to contribute
    – calendar of useful events/conferences relevant to our profession/area of interest

Please add your own ideas to this thread.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of David Read David Read.
    Profile photo of Anna Rolinska
    Anna Rolinska
    Participant

As mentioned in our early correspondence it would be good to have a regular opportunity to meet online for real time conversations/discussions as well as presentations showcasing our work. As part of the EAP in the North workshop dedicated to TELT issues we came up with a set of questions (https://goo.gl/vqGgQc) – we didn’t manage to answer them during the workshop as we ran out of time but perhaps this could be a way to structure our online meetings at least initially?
    I’d be happy to get the online meetings started if you think this would be of interest/benefit?

David Read
    Keymaster

Thanks Anna, some great suggestions there. I like the idea of online meetings, maybe we could start with something where we do brief five minute shares on something innovative (a bit like we did at the Glasgow meet up). What format do you think would work best for that? Adobe connect? Hangouts? Skype? Anything else?

Anna Rolinska
    Participant

Thanks David – I think it would depend on the numbers.

Hangouts would be great, easy to use and record the conversations, which means we have a record to embed in the blog and disseminate to anybody that cannot attend. However, only 10 can fully participate. This is not a problem if we just want a space to showcase our work. Skype can accommodate more people and I’ve got a Camtasia licence that I can use to record it. I don’t have access to an Adobe room – do you? I think you mentioned something along these lines in Glasgow. Adobe Connect feels a bit more formal to me but is much more flexible – it would be good for more formal meet-ups, perhaps conferences?

I’m leaning towards Hangouts (easy to combine with social media and a nice Q&A function) and based on the Glasgow experience I was thinking of something longer so that there is more time and space to go into detail, a bit more like a presentation of a case study – what I did? why I did that? how did it work? why did it work well? why didn’t it work so well? how could it be improved? how else could it be used? etc, etc

What do you think?

Profile photo of Mike Groves
    Mike Groves
    Participant

Hi David

Are you expecting to have any editorial control for this blog- or should we just post up blog posts as we come up with them? I think I know the answer, but thought I had better check, just in case

Mike

David Read
    Keymaster

hi Mike,

No, I don’t exercise any editorial control, I trust that it will be interesting 😉 Let me know if you want to post and I’ll change your status to contributor.

Profile photo of Mike Groves
    Mike Groves
    Participant

Yes please, David

Anna Rolinska
    Participant

Hi David

Are we restricting ourselves to technologies used with EAP students? I believe many of us also work in the capacity of teacher trainers/educators and so could speak about technologies used in EAP from that perspective and what challenges and opportunities technologies present in the context of EAP teacher training. What are your thoughts on this?

David Read
    Keymaster

No, this is for both teaching students and training teachers as this is often a core aspect of our work as learning technologists or technology advocates. To that end, I’ve just set up a Resources section on the site where site contributors can upload any useful guides, lesson plans, training sessions to share with other learning technologists.

Anna Rolinska
    Participant

Thanks David, that’s useful!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.