The Learning Technologies in EAP Group is an informal association of English for Academic Purposes tutors that are interested in or have special responsibilities for developing the use of technology among teachers and students. Our goal is to share ideas and promote best practices in the use of technology in EAP.
To this end, we are running a free webinar on Wednesday 11th November, 17.30–18.45 (UK time) where some of our members will share some examples of technology use in the classroom and best pratices for supporting EAP students’ learning using online tools. Included among the speakers and topics are:
- Robin Turner (Bilkent University) on using Socrative for in-class quizzes and polls
- Jonathan Smith (University of Reading) on creating attractive videos to present and practise language points using PowerPoint
- Carole MacDiarmid & Anna Rolinska (University of Glasgow) on an academic writing website resource for students
- Özlem Zengin (Bilkent University) on Quizlet and how to use it as a mobile-based vocabulary notebook
- David Read (University of Sheffield) on providing online support for distance EAP learners
- Dustin Hosseini (Royal Holloway University) on using dialogue/discussion forums to foster a range of skills related to academic speaking
These presentations will be relatively short – around 5–7 mins – but there will also be time at the end for you to ask questions to the individual presenters but also to ask any general questions you might have about the use of technology in EAP. You don’t have to be an expert in technology to attend the webinar and we openly encourage teachers who are less confident about technology to attend to help get some ideas.
To register for this free webinar, please complete the short registration form below. On completing the form, you will immediately be sent details of how to access the webinar next Wednesday. Shortly before the webinar, you will also receive a reminder email